With mobile poised to play a dominant role in holiday shopping, merchants should maximize visibility of their mobile offerings by promoting at critical junctures across touchpoints.
Proof of the power of mobile is everywhere. Statistics show that not only are shoppers using their mobile devices to consult product information and look up store hours, but they’re increasingly making purchases on the go, with 24% of total revenues now attributable to mobile, according to the MarketLive Performance Index.
The holidays present an especially ripe opportunity for mobile engagement, as shoppers are bustling to physical stores to take advantage of seasonal deals as well as intensifying their online purchasing. Last year, mobile visits grew 34% and mobile sales grew 43% on Black Friday alone, and all indications are that this year will see even greater gains.
The action item
Mobile offerings are increasingly integral to merchants’ online offerings — so integral that many brands don’t even promote them separately. But merchants who’ve worked hard to optimize their mobile offerings should promote them as a brand differentiator, and even those with basic mobile sites should let holiday shoppers know they can at least look up store hours and reach customer service on the go.
The key is to place mobile prompts in spots most likely to reach engaged shoppers looking to stay in touch. Top locations include:
- Black Friday preview pages. Shoppers already scoping out deals are likely to appreciate the opportunity to check in on the go throughout the season.
- Store locator pages. Let shoppers know they can access the product information and buying advice on the eCommerce site when on the go.
- Social media. Well over half of all social media consumption occurs on mobile devices, so merchants should promote mobile offerings to brand followers.
- Mobile sites. It may seem redundant to promote mobile offerings on mobile, but merchants with apps should be sure their mobile Web sites point visitors to the download.
- Welcome emails. New subscribers who’ve signed up to receive holiday seals should be introduced to all the brand’s offerings, including the availability of mobile purchasing or apps. MarketLive merchant Design Within Reach promotes its iPad app prominently in the first email new subscribers receive, listing the mobile feature alongside shopping categories in the message body’s top navigation.